Wednesday 25 November 2009

25 November

Day 1 at sea was a fairly windy one. After the start we continued to
sail along the Cape peninsula and in the early morning of the next day
the lighthouse of Cape of Good Hope dissappeared behind the horizon. One
more famous Cape rounded. The wind really picked up and we had two heavy
days. I went without sleep for at least 36 hours and only managed to
get some physical rest. My bunk this leg is all the way forward 3m from
the bow and this is the place where the boat moves the most. I was
airborne about 5 times during the first two days as we dropped off steep
waves and the boat was rolling and heaving so much that I thought I
would slide over my leeclotyh and land on the other side of the boat.
Unfortunately I had a very similar fall as I made my way to my bunk and
just as I was moving my hand for more grip a wave knocked the boat and
I flew to the low side off the boat and fell into someone else's bunk.
He was in it! No injuries luckily. The heavy seas did take their toll
and many were seasick and the rest was exhausted. Things have improved
thankfully and all are better rested now that the seas have calmed down.
Last night was very eventfull. We had to change head sails and in the
process nearly both sails went over the side. Winds were up and it was
the first time we changed from 1 to 2 in heavy winds. I was on bow again
and learned loads. At some point I was holding the sail down on deck by
just lying on top of it and it occurred to me that it was the middle of
the night, I was on board a 68 footer with n18 others having the time of
my life! Usually I am too busy to realise that I am actually sailing
around the world. Good to realise that it is so fantastic!
This morning another eventfull watch: wind was shifting all over the
place as we entered fog and then got hit by a thunderstorm, rain and
then fog again with some sunshine. Gybe, tack, gybe, our track on the
chartplotter looks hilarious! Now all is very quiet and sunny though
still foggy. All a bit weird as thunderstorms usually do not occur in
these latitudes and sun is supposed to chase away fog. Let's wait and
see what else is waiting for us.