Friday 2 April 2010

Wet, damp, moist, soaking, soggy

All the above terms apply to several items of my kit. My long johns are
soggy when I put them on and wet when I take them off. My sleeping bag
is moist and warm but I wake up bathing in sweat. It has been raining
for days now and my foulies and drysuit are damp on both sides. It is
not really cold but being in damp clothes and having wet socks does make
me feel chilly on a regular basis. Keeping busy is the answer but that
just causes more moisture inside my foulies. I have 6 pairs of socks
hanging off my bunk to dry but the boat is so damp inside that the
condensation that drips off the ceiling just makes them more wet... This
afternoon was the lowlight in the damp affairs: when we gybed all the
condensation from the ceiling gathered above my head and came pouring
down onto my face. It was as if someone had opened a tap.
Other nuisance is the weather. It is dry now and we are soon to be
overtaken by a high pressure area so the boat will definitely dry out
but the movement of the systems means that we have to get more north in
order to avoid 25 knots headwinds. Again we have to put lots of effort
into moving vertically on our globe whilst we desperately need to get
towards San Francisco in order to be there on time for the start.
 
I am not believing at the moment we will be ready in time to start
the next race because our generator needs to be fixed. The wiring burnt
out two days ago and the skipper spent 6 hours trying to solve the issue
but without success. That's two of the vital pieces of kit out of
order...
 
But... the  moon is full, the sky is clear and the albatross are out!
Still loving the fact that I wake up sailing and go to bed sailing. I
love this "office".